[Clfs-dev] [CLFS-DEV] Embedded Musl Libc

Kirk Terrell knjterrell at mybluelight.com
Wed Jul 31 19:42:34 PDT 2013

On 07/31/2013 05:20 AM, Andrew Bradford wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 31, 2013, at 08:00 AM, Kirk Terrell wrote:
>> 	I have a complete build for an arm platform (Vexpress-a9) using Musl
>> libc, verified to run on the QEMU emulator. You can read the modified
>> book at http://kanj.github.io/elfs/book/armMusl/index.html. This version
>> has also been modified to have no clfs user. If you download the git you
>> can do an automated build of this target from BOOK using make
>> armMusl-build.
> My only concern is that the musl cross building scripts [1] show decent
> patches to gcc and a small patch to binutils to support musl properly,
> including triplets ending in -linux-musl*.  Leaving the triplet ending
> in -linux-uclibc* may have gcc choose code that's not completely
> appropriate based on my quick look at the gcc patch to support musl.
>
> [1]:https://bitbucket.org/GregorR/musl-cross
>
> What are your thoughts on this?
>
> -Andrew
>
> I've taken a quick look at the patches in [1]. The goal appears to be to create a new class of targets e.g. armel-unknown-linux-musleabi-. I am using the target armel-unknown-linux-gnueabi-. The version I've posted so far statically linked the busybox binary. I just worked thru the instructions for dynamic linking given in the INSTALL doc in the Musl source. These instructions are meant to cover the use of Musl in an existing system - not a system built specifcally for using Musl. I'll post an updated book hopefully this week - after doing a clean complete automated build. I think you get a system that is similar to *-linux-gnu* but at a size reasonable for embedded applications with the following steps:

         1)	Use the CFLAG -D_GNU_SOURCE during compilation of applications. Other tweaks may be necesary - e.g. for busybox had to throw in -Dfdprint=dprintf
	2)	Tweak the gcc specs file to point to ld-musl-arm.so.1 instead of ld-linux.so.3

> What would you suggest as good applications to compile and test to build a confidence level in Musl?

Haven't forgotten about fpu selection - just haven’t gotten that far yet. :)

Kirk