[Clfs-dev] Bison 2.7.1 shared library

William Harrington kb0iic at berzerkula.org
Mon Jul 29 20:56:53 PDT 2013

Greetings,

I was curious today about removing static libs from tools, as we do in
cross-tools, and decided to createa a shared lib for bison liby.

cd lib &&
$CC "$CFLAGS" -shared -Wl,-soname,liby.so.2.7.1 -o liby.so.2.7.1
main.o yyerror.o &&
install -v liby.so.2.7.1  /tools/lib/liby.so.2.7.1 &&
ln -fsv liby.so.2.7.1 /tools/lib/liby.so.2 &&
ln -fsv liby.so.2 /tools/lib/liby.so &&
rm -v /tools/lib/liby.a

I know HLFS had created a shared lib as HLFS removes static libs and I
see some distros use a shared lib for liby.

Has anyone else been doing this and would including this in the final-
system be a good thing?

Also, what does the community think about removing static libraries
from tools as well as the final-system?

Sincerely,

WIlliam Harrington