[Clfs-dev] Ticket-917(b) Soft float and --with-fpu

Kirk Terrell knjterrell at mybluelight.com
Sat Jul 27 06:26:39 PDT 2013

Good Morning,

In reviewing the issue of what to with --with-fpu when the soft float
option is selected I think the gcc manual provided an answer I just did
not see

> This specifies what floating-point hardware (or hardware emulation) is available on the target.

Even when there is no floating point hardware, there is emulation. The
following is a snippet from a kernel config for a Versatilepb board:

> #
> # Floating point emulation
> #
>
> #
> # At least one emulation must be selected
> #
> CONFIG_FPE_NWFPE=y
> # CONFIG_FPE_NWFPE_XP is not set
> # CONFIG_FPE_FASTFPE is not set
> CONFIG_VFP=y

I compiled gcc with --with-fpu=vfp and it successfully compiled. It
appears that if a fpu is not specified that there a cpu dependant
defaults - the following articles lists them -
http://www.keil.com/support/man/docs/armcc/armcc_CIHGDBHC.htm