[Clfs-dev] CLFS Alpha - Version GIT-20130206-ALPHA

William Harrington berzerkula at cox.net
Sat Feb 9 04:51:13 PST 2013

On Feb 9, 2013, at 5:06 AM, Karin WIllers wrote:

> Hello,
>
> following the book, I encountered some problems:
>
> vii. Errata
> -----------
> Following the given link:
>
> http://trac.cross-lfs.org/clfs/errata/git/
>
> the page displays the following:
>
> Error: Not Found
> No handler matched request to /clfs/errata/git
>
> Is that normal?

Yes, no errata

> 5.8. GMP-5.0.5
> --------------
> On my machine (rather fresh Ubuntu 12.04 32-bit) the build resulted
> in the following error:
>
> configure error: checking C++ compiler g++ -fexceptions ... no
>
> GMP.5.05 requires gcc with c++ support. 'version-check.sh' from
> chapter "iv. Host System Requirements" could/should check for g++.
>
> Something like
>
> g++ --version | head -n1
>
> should be added to the checking script

If you have GCC installed iwth your host, g++ should be there as well.
Since you are using ubnut did you do: sudo apt-get install build-
essential bison texinfo gawk && sudo dpkg-reconfigure dash ?

> 5.14. EGLIBC-2.15 Headers
> -------------------------
> EGLIBC requires autoconf and msgfmt. The commands
>
> msgfmt --version | head -n1      and
> autoconf --version | head -n1
>
> could be added to the 'version-check.sh' script to test for that
> at begin of the whole build procedure.

eglibc doesn't require those to build. It may request them, but it
certainly does not require them to build.

> 5.14. EGLIBC-2.15 Headers
> -------------------------
> In the current version, configure terminates with the error message:
>
> checking sysdep dirs... configure: error: The alpha is not supported.
>
> This comes from the fact that the EGLIBC Ports package is not added to
> the EGLIBC source tree, as done in the other architectures I looked
> at.
>
> Adding the first three commands from 5.15. EGLIBC-2.15 (MIPS Version):
>
> tar -jxvf ../eglibc-ports-2.15-r21467.tar.xz
> cp -v Makeconfig{,.orig}
> sed -e 's/-lgcc_eh//g' Makeconfig.orig > Makeconfig
>
> fixes that.

Will add that sometime soon.

> After that, configure terminates with the error message:
>
> configure: error: linker with -z relro support required
>

> I have two observations/questions:
>
> First, why is the normal gcc (i684 host) used for this test?
> Shouldn't be that the Alpha gcc (ok, chicken-egg-problem here ...)?

> Second, other architectures build Cross GCC-4.6.3 - Static before
> building EGLIBC, while on Alpha the order is
>
> 5.13. Cross Binutils-2.23
> 5.14. EGLIBC-2.15 Headers
> 5.15. Cross GCC-4.6.3 - Static
> 5.16. EGLIBC-2.15
>
> Is there a specific reason for that?

There is probably something specific to the headers. Never have built
alpha, so am not sure.

You could browse the clfs-dev archive from before 2007 or so and see
if there is any info on the alpha book when it was being developed.