[Clfs-dev] Download utility for final system

William Harrington berzerkula at cox.net
Sun Sep 2 20:04:44 PDT 2012

On Sep 2, 2012, at 05:00 AM, Martin Ward wrote:

> On 02/09/12 03:47, William Harrington wrote:
>> Greetings All,
>>
>> An issue we need to discuss.
>>
>> In the final system we do not have an ftp client (which can be
>> used to ftp to a server to get curl or wget or whatever other
>> utility to download packages for cblfs).
>>
>> We can do two things here:
>>
>> get rid of iputils and install inetutils, which we dropped as it
>> wasn't being maintained and is now.
>>
> sounds like a good idea to me

Hah or we can do this:

use gnu awk:

BEGIN {
   NetService = "/inet/tcp/0/mirror.anl.gov/80"
   print "GET /pub/gnu/wget/wget-1.5.3.tar.gz" |& NetService
   while ((NetService |& getline) > 0)
     print $0

   close(NetService)
}

Then run gawk -f http.gawk > binaryfilename   (this seems to have an
issue with corrupting the binary data somehow.

Or use the host used to build the final system and use this wget.pl
with the LWP installed on the host:  which means the host system
requirements would need perl with LWP:

http://www.bioinfo-user.org.uk/dokuwiki/doku.php/projects/wgetpl

Or just assume let the user know that there is no download utility in
the final system and either use perl IO Socket Inet to build their
own download script with perl, try to attempt it with gawk, use their
C or C++ programming skills and write a client, or skip to cblfs and
download a utility and build it.

Or just forget all of this and let the user figure it out. really
we've never had anyone complain there isn't a utility. Most users
probably go to cblfs and build upon their final system while in
chroot before rebooting.