[Clfs-dev] Timezone Issue and util-linux 2.21.2 date

William Harrington berzerkula at cox.net
Sat Sep 1 18:59:15 PDT 2012

Greetings all,

While getting the book updated I've noticed issues I haven't before
with previous builds.

when running the date command, from util-linux I get this:

root:/sources# date
Sun Sep  2 01:55:34 Local time zone must be set--see zic manual page
2012

this is even after copying the zoneinfo file to /etc/localtime

I have to do this:

TZ=/etc/localtime date
Sat Sep  1 20:56:11 CDT 2012

Is this something different with util-linux's date command?

We're using the same eglibc version so I suspect util linux. I should
probably install some debugging tools. I just want to make sure I'm
not hte only one. I've had this multiple builds and different targets
now.