[Clfs-dev] CLFS GIT PowerPC Boot Method

William Harrington berzerkula at cox.net
Fri Aug 3 13:23:26 PDT 2012

Hello everybody,

I've been going through different builds of the book checking chroot
method and boot methods and right now I am on powerpc 32 bit.

I know there are some users, who may not be subscribed and follow the
archives, and am curious to know who has built powerpc recently using
the boot method?

I've ran into a few issues and I need them verified to make sure they
are not my own.

When building the boot method, e2fsprogs is at 1.42.3  and yaboot is
at 1.3.17. Maybe we'll need to provide a static yaboot for people to
use.

I'm going to go back and install e2fsprogs at 1.41 and yaboot at
1.3.17 to see if the problem is in e2fsprogs but some stubs are
missing from nostdlib.c. I don't know if this is also a gcc issue as
the stubs patch from gentoo brings in what is required for e2fsprogs
1.42, but I'm also having a long double issue with __ldbl_fprtinf and
others. I tried adding them to the stubs, but it is also wanting all
the ldbl functions as well like ldbl_vsprintf and others. Any ideas?
I'm going to do another build using a different host and see what I
can come up with. Patches at gentoo are supposed to bring yaboot
1.3.17 up to speed and build with stable e2fsprogs from May 5 2012
post I found.

Also use this post to provide any deviations users had to perform
while building their powerpc systems. I'm planning on doing the whole
boot method and test with my good ole trusty Made in Taiwan in 2003
G4 1GHz Titanium! Woohoo.