[Clfs-dev] startfile_prefix_spec

DJ Lucas dj at linuxfromscratch.org
Wed Feb 2 22:41:33 PST 2011

On 02/02/2011 11:24 PM, DJ Lucas wrote:
> IIUC, it seems to me that startfile_prefix_spec should be defined as
> /usr/lib64 on x86_64 in CLFS, as the relative path used is "." if no
> -m flags are supplied.
Never mind that, I answered my own question, no bug. Upon further
reading, IIUC, *multilib_defaults is m64 so the first case is never used
(is <blank> the correct option for the first case?). If that is correct
the path could be /usr/share/, /usr/bin/, or
/usr/<insert_any_existing_directory_here>/, as long as it makes the
relative path work. So there is no error, however, see the next question
below...
> I'm trying to wrap my head around multi-lib and how all of the pieces
> fit together. Does ld later override these paths, or am I completely
> missing the point here? Is there some justification for using /usr/lib
> that I haven't found yet?

The related question:

Why not:
----------
*multilib:
. !m64 !m32;64:lib64 m64 !m32;32:lib !m64 m32;
----------
*multilib_defaults:
m64
----------
*startfile_prefix_spec:
/usr/

?

I've been digging and I can't find a good reason why the relative paths
are used. I had suspected that it dates back to the original addition of
*startfile_prefix_spec (early multilib days?), but have found nothing as
for why. A good rationale could probably result in some nice explanatory
text in both CLFS and LFS as a result if anybody has an answer.

-- DJ Lucas