[Clfs-dev] Embedded clfs problems and workarounds

Adrian Grigo agrigo2001 at yahoo.com.au
Sun Feb 6 03:54:21 PST 2011

First of all, thank you for helping me to compile my first cross-compiler. I'm not sure if this is the correct mailing list, but wanted to report some problems I had along the way and the solutions I found.

I've been following the Clfs-Embedded-Git-0.0.1-20110129-x86 book exactly, compiling with BUILD -m64 and ARCH x86_64-unknown-linux-uclibc, running on Ubuntu 10.10 desktop (x86_64 version).

My first issue occurred when trying to compile the stage 2 gcc, I got an error from ld: skipping incompatible .../libc.so when searching for -lc.
It seems that uclibc is creating 64 bit libraries, but gcc requires a 32 bit library as well for compiling multilibs. I fixed this by adding --disable-multilib to the gcc configure options.

Then when building busybox, I got the error undefined reference to 'fcntl64'. It seems that the default configuration for busybox has support for files > 2G selected in the options, whereas the default uclibc configuration has support for files > 2G deselected. When I disable the busybox support for files >2G busybox then compiles successfully. I am going to try to recompile everything again, to see if adding support for files >2G to both uclibc and busybox also works.