[Clfs-dev] Simplification of the XML

Andrew Bradford bradfa at gmail.com
Fri Apr 29 04:02:59 PDT 2011

On Sun, Apr 24, 2011 at 2:29 PM, Joe Ciccone <jciccone at gmail.com> wrote:
> We may have a problem
> using an integrated editor with this format.

Not sure if this is what you're saying but I'm able to load the
schema/clfs/0.1/rng/clfs.rnc file into emacs' nXML mode and get auto
completion with C-enter.  It'll bring up a list of valid completions
for the current spot that I'm at in the hierarchy.  For example, after
the first c:para in the bash.xml example, typing "<c:" and hitting
C-enter brings up choices of "c:command", "c:note", and "c:para" which
should be the only valid things I can enter.

It'll also flag invalid syntax against the rnc schema in bold red.  It
won't prevent you from saving an invalid file but it'll check the file
against the schema in pretty much real time.

> This I
> want to move into a git sub-module so it can be shared with all of the
> books.

That'd be awesome! :)

I looked through the clfs.rnc file quickly (I admit, I'm not well
studied in schemas) but the meaning of the clfs.attrib.r attribute
didn't jump right out at me.  You use it as c:r="p-bu" in the first
part of <c:install> in both the c:para and c:command.  What's it
doing?

I think this will be really handy.  A whole bunch of work I did
recently on GCC for the embedded book will be much less complex with
this new XML.  I like it!

-Andrew