[Clfs-dev] EGLIBC...

Eric Herman eric at freesa.org
Thu May 7 07:02:17 PDT 2009

Ryan Oliver wrote:
> Greetings all,
>
> This looks interesting, looks like glibc has been forked  and some extra
> long-overdue goodies added to aid cross-compiling.
>
> http://www.eglibc.org

And I notice that the first reason listed is:

    More friendly upstream (especially with regard to embedded
    architectures): “Encourage cooperation, communication, civility,
    and respect among developers” (as opposed to this).

FROM:

  http://blog.aurel32.net/?p=47

They point to the bug database, but the libc-alpha mailing list is just
*brutal* too. I am dead sure the people listed at:

http://www.eglibc.org/maintainers

     * Jim Blandy
     * Steve Munroe
     * Joseph Myers
     * Steve Papacharalambous
     * Khem Raj

  are nicer than, say, Ulrich Drepper ....

YAY!

This marks a subtle but important step forward. I think it highlights
the value of Free Software. Down stream users like us benefit when
someone decides to fork and create a better upstream, especially when
"better" is defined not just by "working code" but as much by "able to
play nice" and "accepts contributions" and whatever else is important to
creating Free Software communities.

I'm really pleased.

Cheers,
  -Eric