[Clfs-dev] CLFS newbie: x86 to SPARC x-compiletion requirements

Ryan Oliver ryan.oliver at performiq.com.au
Sun Mar 15 18:22:54 PDT 2009

attila.j.horvath at gmail.com wrote:
> All
>
> I have a need to cross compile from a 32-bit x86 based Windows/Linux
> hosting environment to a 64-bit SPARC based SOLARIS/10 target
> environment. I've considered SUN's GCCFSS and have taken initial steps
> to go down that path however there are some logistic hurdles that I
> may not be able to overcome due to GCCFSS' basic operation. Primarily,
> it needs the contents of the target machine's /usr/include, /usr/lib,
> /usr/(etc.) directories. Since the target machine is a classified
> machine and the host is not, there is a logistics I may not be able to
> easily overcome. I just came across CLFS. From the sound of it, CLFS
> may very well get around this potential security hurdle that GCCFSS
> may encounter.

There is no way around needing to be able to have access to solaris 10
includes and libraries if you intend to build a linux to solaris 10
cross-compiler.

They need to be copied into a sysroot (or nfs mounted into a sysroot)
and then you build your toolchain.

You can probably get away initially with using only SUNWcsl SUNWcslr
(Core shared libs) and SUNWhea (SunOS header files) packages installed
into the sysroot to buiild your cross-toolchaiin.

After that you'll need to supply any additional libs includes as needed
for whatever you are developing.

Note: CLFS is geared to cross-compiling a linux operating system from
scratch, not generating cross-toolchains for solaris, so is probably not
exactly what you are looking for here...

Best Regards
[R]