[Clfs-dev] Compile for USB stick boot on PS3

Joe Ciccone jciccone at gmail.com
Thu Jul 2 04:48:46 PDT 2009

John Frankish wrote:
> No feedback at all?

I'm not sure how you intend to boot to ram with an initrd, I can think
of a few ways to do it. But I havn't ever had the chance to work on a ps3.
> I've already managed a multi-lib CLFS installation to the PS3 hd on the same partition as the original YDL installation, so I have some kind of confirmation that things might work...

The first thing I would try is making a kernel with a very small
initrd/initramfs. something that has an init that just does echo "Hello
World" or some other such command just for a proof of concept for
booting off of usb. If you havn't done something like that already.
> A couple of questions:
>
> 1. Do I have to use the CLFS process since I'm compiling for the same architecture (I guess the only powerpc instructions are in CLFS)?

It worked the first time, It will work the second time.
> 2. Are there any LFS guidelines for an initrd boot totally to RAM?

None that I know of. One thought I did have was to use an initramfs
rather then an initrd. When it loads up, mount the usb stick and untar
the root filesystem.