[Clfs-dev] Sparc64 and PPC64-mulitlib and udevd

William Harrington wwh04660 at ucmo.edu
Mon Aug 31 07:26:08 PDT 2009

Hello,

    Both of my systems end up getting this from udev:

error getting buffer for inotify

I started getting these when the following was added to udev starting
with 145 if I remember correctly:

  buf = malloc(nbytes);
     if (buf == NULL) {
         err(udev, "error getting buffer for inotify\n");
         return -1;
     }

that's in udev/udevd.c around line 659.

I just comment out that error and build the source so I don't get the
annoying messages.

Now Ryan mentioned it could be an alignment problem but I'm not sure.

I use a defconfig and go from there and both kernel configs have
INOTIFY and DNOTIFY configured in the kernel.  Is there some other
option which would be required? I can't figure it out. Also, I
haven't tried it with x86 or x86_64. I suspect since I'm the only one
posting, it isn't a big problem.

Jim, do you notice any of this with your sparc or ppc builds? If not,
send me your kernel config and I might find the problem.

-William