[Clfs-dev] glibc-2.9 for arm compilation failures and fixes

Joe Ciccone jciccone at gmail.com
Tue Apr 7 16:04:48 PDT 2009

Lukasz Janyst wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 5, 2009 at 8:58 PM, Joe Ciccone <jciccone at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Lukasz Janyst wrote:
>>
>>>    I see glibc compilation problems while compiling for ARM. The
>>> problems and the solutions are described here:
>>>
>>>    http://www.nabble.com/arm-linux-compilation-failure-and-possible-fix-td19229074.html
>>>    http://sourceware.org/ml/libc-ports/2008-12/msg00011.html
>>>
>> Ok, This change went in a little while ago. Aswell as a new perl patch.
>>

> Thank you! I am just curious. Why this solution hasn't reached the
> glibc code yet if the problem is known since glibc 2.7?

The problem is no-one actively maintains archs like arm/alpha/mips
anymore. There's no-one to sign off on patches from what I can tell. I
remember a reported bug on alpha from 2 years ago. A working patch came
out 2 years ago, it still is not committed into the cvs repo.

The various x86 and ppc archs are the only ones that seem to ever
compile cleanly without patches. The rest seem to lag behind.