[Clfs-dev] UTF-8 (was Re: Moving On to CLFS 1.2.0)

George Makrydakis gmlistbox at obsethryl.eu
Mon Sep 29 11:55:08 PDT 2008

On Monday 29 September 2008 21:15:50 Ken Moffat wrote:
>  People who can read my name below will know I favour UTF-8, but
> using obsolete greenlandic glyphs is not yet a requirement! ;-)
>
> ĸen

There is always greek polytonic, hiragana, katakana and some others I like as
well... :D

UTF-8 support in locales is the only sensible way to go for full multilanguage
support. I run on clfs modified with full UTF-8 locales since I require
multilanguage support for what I do. However, since I run on a _heavily_
modified version, my changes cannot go into main yet.

As a sidenote, I have done serious work and completed utf8 i/o for my upcoming
library for cross-lfs build (it takes time you know, when you are solo and
obsessed with perfection). Personally since I don't like list communication
that much, I have discussed it with Joe that a default utf8 encoding would
resolve all internationalization issues together with the rest of the system,
we will talk about it soon enough with some code about it.

Cheers,

George