[Clfs-dev] broken binutils libtool file

db m myheadblewoff at hotmail.com
Thu Sep 25 04:33:35 PDT 2008

Greets,

> Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2008 21:14:39 -0400
> From: jciccone
> To: clfs-dev
> Subject: Re: [Clfs-dev] broken binutils libtool file
>
> Michael A. Peters wrote:
> > clfs 1.1.0 i386 build
> >
> > Line 20 of /usr/lib/libbfd.la reads:
> >
> > dependency_libs=' -L/sources/binutils-build/libiberty/pic -liberty'
> >
> > That clearly is wrong. What should it be, and did I not follow an
> > instruction or what it missed?
> >
> > libtool files are evil.

Joe said ;

> I never noticed this before, but this has been the case for years
> apparently. I just checked a few builds. Something to fix for the future
> I suppose, but obviously not problematic.

Curious.......my old SVN-20051223 lfs build (32bit) has the same
dependency_libs line as above....

My clfs 1.0.0 from last year (x86_64-64) quotes ;

dependency_libs=' '

My current clfs-1.1.0 (x86_64_multilib) is the same.

As I've still got the tools/crosstools trees from this build handy, I've discovered
this all starts back during these initial stages -- these binutils builds also have
the libbfd.la line ; dependency_libs=' -L/sources/binutils-build/libiberty/pic -liberty'

However, in the final (chapter 10) build of binutils, this libtool file line results as;

dependency_libs=' '

At a glance, this looks like some weirdness  with the  '--enable-shared'  switch
supplied to the configure script, which somehow construes...

 WIN32LIBADD="-L../libiberty/pic -liberty"

...or part thereof, at or around line 18898  in  binutils-2.xx/bfd/configure .

I believe     dependency_libs=' '    is probably correct.

Regards,

Don