[Clfs-dev] Broken Link in CLFS Developement

Joe Ciccone jciccone at gmail.com
Sat Sep 13 07:35:47 PDT 2008

wwh04660 at ucmo.edu wrote:

> On Sep 13, 2008, at 9:11 AM, Joe Ciccone wrote:
>
>> Andrew Rowland wrote:
>>> Found that the link for module-init-tools in the PowerPC book is
>>> broken.
>>> The following link works...
>>>
>>> http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/kernel/module-init-tools/module-init-tools-3.4.tar.bz2
>>>

>> Going through old emails I just noticed this one, Surprised no-one
>> reported this link broken.
>
> That makes books for 1.1.0-rc3 wrong, too because well,
> module-init-tools has moved:
>
> http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/jcm/module-init-tools/README

I did update this for the 1.1.0 branch.

> I built for ppc64 a few months ago before Joe released 1.1.0 rc1.
>
> We all did a bunch of testing, however I didn't follow the links in
> the book.
> download-lists is what I used.
>
> Good catch. Although, I'm afraid that more links are going to bread
> even before release and after release.

This is always a possibility beyond our control.
> Nice to get them up to date now, but in the future, people can still
> download everything from known locations
> all around the internet and from CLFS archives. Homepage links are
> less likely to be valid than the links pointing to the files as most
> projects will remove the old version when a new one is released.
Yup, I'm going to verify it by making a download-list and then
attempting to download everything.

> I'll look through all the links again before release is imminent. I
> think tomorrow, Joe?

It couldn't hurt to have a second pair of eyes.

It seems like tomorrow is the day. There haven't been any proposed major
changes, or really even minor changes. (Besides text)