[Clfs-dev] CLFS 1.1.0-rc2 , Chapter 5 -- some pedantic views

Joe Ciccone jciccone at gmail.com
Sun Sep 7 09:17:22 PDT 2008

db m wrote:
> Greets,
>
> Working my way through - Version 1.1.0-rc2-x86_64-Multilib
>
> <snip>
> 5.6.1. Installation of File
> Note:
> 'You only need to install File if your host does not have File
> installed or has a version older than 4.23.'
>
> Could be just me, but I thought this note to be a little ambiguous.
>
> <snip>
>
> Perhaps... 'if in any doubt, do not skip this bit'....<shrug>...I'm
> being a
> pedant here ;)

All for dropping the note and installing, done in r4005.
> ....following on from the above....
> 5.6. File-4.23  --> should be 5.6 Cross File-4.23 (if indeed one does
> install file-4.23 at this point in Chapter 5)....
>
> If one -does- install file-4.23 as part of chapter 5 cross-tools, then...

Don't quite know what you mean by this, but I'll assume that you mean
both need to be installed cause that's usually the case. :)

> 5.7.1. Installation of Cross Binutils
>
> 'It is important that Binutils be the first package compiled because....'
>
> Would be technically incorrect, because file-4.23 may have been
> compiled -first-. If ppl are unsure whether or not to install file-4.23
> in the previous section, reading this may give them the impression
> that they don't need file-4.23, or that {cross} binutils-2.18 should be
> compiled first (regardless of the version of File their host is using)..
> ...or something sillier...

Changed it from "the first" to "before Glibc and GCC".
> I would also wonder if ;
>
> 5.9. Glibc-2.7 32 Bit
> 5.10. Glibc-2.7 64-Bit
>
> should read something like ;
>
> 5.9. Cross Glibc-2.7 32 Bit
> 5.10. Cross Glibc-2.7 64-Bit

This I wouldn't necessarily change, looking at the context in which
Cross is used it seems to mean to indicate Cross Compiler, not Cross
Compiled. The one page that didn't seem to meed this format was the
final cross-compiler, I changed the title to Cross GCC-4.2.4 - Final.
> Like I say, I'm being a right pedant here, but for the sake of ..err...
> 'consistency within the book', these things sort of stood out for me.

That's good that it stands out to someone, I miss all this stuff.