[Clfs-dev] Note on kernel in packages list

Michael A. Peters mpeters at mac.com
Sat Sep 27 11:54:59 PDT 2008

I was looking through the svn book - and for the kernel, it has 2.6.26.5
source tarball listed.

Personally I think it would be better to have the 2.6.26 source tarball
and the 2.6.26.5 patch - because Linus no longer releases patches from
minor version to minor version.

So if the user ever wants to update to, say, 2.6.26.9 by patch - the
user will have to download the 2.6.26.5 patch anyway to reverse apply
before applying the 2.6.26.9 patch. So downloading 2.6.26.5 source
doesn't really make sense, at least not to me.

In fact, I'm not sure why Linus keeps releasing the minor point release
updates to stable branch as tarballs.