[Clfs-dev] CBLFS -- query on wiki edit just done....

db m myheadblewoff at hotmail.com
Wed Sep 10 03:57:35 PDT 2008

Greets,

The Hplip package (hplip-2.8.2) apparently requires the sane-backend package
to be available , to make scanner support available to hplip itself.

The hplip   'configure'   script states ;

--enable-scan-build    enable scanner build (default=yes)

Ergo, if you don't have sane-backends installed (or else don't want scanner
support in hplip), the current build commands for hplip should have the ;

--disable-scan-build

configure option added to the existing command blocks.

What I've done instead, is merely added the  'SANE'  entry into the
list of   'Required Packages'  , and as such no other changes need be
made to the hplip commands at all  -- people just have to build & install
sane-backends (and optionally here sane-frontends) package(s) before
building hplip.

The 'other' alternative, would be to make SANE an optional package,
append the '--disable-scan-build' to all the relevant command blocks,
and have a *Note saying to remove this switch if indeed people do
want scanner support in hplip....which sort of sounds convoluted to me.

My query is, have I done the right thing here, or do we wish to have
the alternative (but more succinct) approach in the wiki?

(I couldn't make up my mind, and in the end concluded a rationale of
"Many folks have PSC type machines now, lotsa folks want scanning
functionality anyway, if-so-facto....be lazy."   ;-)

Regards,

Don