[Clfs-dev] CBLFS -- wxWidgets-2.8.9 -- compile problem?

Andrew Rowland weibullguy at charter.net
Tue Oct 7 16:05:28 PDT 2008

On Wed, 2008-10-08 at 00:13 +1000, db m wrote:
> Greets,

> From: myheadblewoff
> To: clfs-dev
> Date: Tue, 7 Oct 2008 23:25:43 +1000
> Subject: [Clfs-dev] CBLFS -- wxWidgets-2.8.9 -- compile problem?
>
> Greets,
>
> Relative to CLFS-1.1.0 x86_64 multilib.....
>
> The 32bit build works fine, but the 64bit (and I'll suspect n32 as
> well) breaks.

Works fine for me using the Wiki instructions on a 1.1.0 system.

> After a bit of dissecting, it appears the configure time switch
> '--libdir= ' is
> somehow causing things to go awry.....

> <snip>
>
> Apparently, the  '--libdir=/usr/lib64'  switch issued at configure
> time, gets parsed into the
> makefiles as part of variable  LDFLAGS , and as this precedes the
> actual linktime library
> path we want   ( -L/usr/local/src/wxWidgets-2.8.9/lib ), ld fails to
> find the libraries we're
> trying to link 'wxrc' to.....or such and similar.

Not likely.  That switch is telling wxWidgets where to install its
libraries.  If you pass anything else to --libdir, you'll still end up
with LDFLAGS containing /usr/lib64.

> I don't seem to recall this happening with wxWidget-2.8.8 so perhaps
> something has changed?
>
> Not sure if it's me, or something else...nor even how to fix it, but
> there it is....
>
> Manually editted the offending LDFLAGS entry from the wxrc makefile
> and the problem
> goes away.....perhaps someone wiser than myself could look into this
> one?

> Further to this, after a bit of digging I've discovered this problem
> is likely attributed to
> the use of the 'Bakefile' utility as used in the wxWidgets-2.8.9
> source tree (bakefile 0.2.3)
>
> According to the changelog for the latest bakefile (0.2.4)  ;
>
> (quote) " - put user- or configure-provided LDFLAGS and LIBS to the
> end of linker
>         command line to avoid conflicts of local libraries with
> system-wide (#182)"

But you'd still have the correct path (-L/usr/local/src/wxWidgets-2.8.9/lib)
as part of the LDFLAG variable so the linker should find the library.  Question
is, did you start with a clean source tree after building the 32-bit version?