[Clfs-dev] Questions on SVN-20081112-PowerPC64-Multilib on ps3

Bryan Kadzban bryan at kadzban.is-a-geek.net
Sun Nov 23 09:29:51 PST 2008

John Frankish wrote:
>> 1. During boot, there are many, many messages of the format:
>>
>> vol_id(909): read seekbuf off: 0x40000 len 0x800
>> vol_id(909): probing at offset 0x0
>> vol_id(909): get buffer off 0x0(0), len 0x200
>>
>> Any ideas where this comes from?

They come from udev running vol_id, but they're actually printed by code
in glibc, specifically syslog (udev logs to syslog, which apparently
thinks it needs to write to the screen in some cases).

I saw the same thing inside initramfs on a system with a really old
glibc (was upgrading it to kernel 2.6 -- finally -- and part of the
upgrade was a udev install).  According to the patch I saved (but never
submitted anywhere: I figured the problem was the age of glibc), I
removed the messages by changing udev/udev.h (logging_init) to remove
the LOG_CONS flag from openlog.