[Clfs-dev] PPC64 with 32 bit user space build comments

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com
Tue Nov 18 14:56:13 PST 2008

On Sun, Nov 16, 2008 at 12:26:04PM -0600, William Harrington wrote:
> Hello everybody,
>

>     There was discussion one midnight in #CLFS-Support about 32 bit
> user space for sparc64, ppc64, and mips I think.  Can't remember it
> all at the moment, but here is what I have done with the latest SVN
> Powerpc build.

 Interesting.  I assumed you would need to load the kernel module
before compiling on the finished system, otherwise it would attempt
to build with -m64 ?

 FWIW, I gave up trying to build 32-bit ppc on my own G5 after
getting issues with bash - couldn't be sure if something I was doing
was causing the problem.  Now that my G4 mac mini has died, maybe
I'll give it another try.  OTOH, the longer I wait, the more likely
somebody will get firefox3 working on ppc.

 Anyway, before that I had been building from a shell running
'linux32', then building 64-bit binutils and gcc in /opt/kgcc using
the first two steps from the 64-bit cross- build.  Then, I built
linux32, moved it to /bin, wrapped agetty in a script to run it from
linux32.  The only other thing I had to change was gdm - it's a
script anyway, so I edited it run the binary from linux32.

 I take your point about not needing to rebuild binutils, but there
has been so much aggravation with gcc on ppc64 (I've often needed to
use an older version, e.g. in the early days of gcc-4.2) that I find
it easier to just use a toolchain which is known to work!

ĸen