[Clfs-dev] GCC 4.3.0 build options, tests results and comments

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com
Mon May 5 17:20:03 PDT 2008

On Mon, May 05, 2008 at 11:47:39PM +0200, Gabriel Barazer wrote:

> Can anyone update the book to include gcc 4.3.0 ?

 A nice summary for one architecture (albeit what is probably the
most-used architecture in the book).  But, doing that will mean
we're even further away from releasing 1.1.0.  Also, as I said on
lfs-support, I'm unhappy with the apparent signals vulnerability
in the kernel with 4.3.0 [ I think 4.3.0 wasn't officially announced
because of that ] and I'd prefer to wait for 4.3.1.  Maybe that's
just me, and anyway I've seen so many problems with 4.2 on ppc64
that I'm dubious about new minor versions of gcc.

 I'm not expecting to do any clfs development any time soon, so I
suppose I don't really matter one way or the other, but the current
book works (apart from the binutils lib64 issue on pure64, and the
evince-2.20 (yes, I'm still on an old gnome) on x86_64-64, which
seems to be a gcc-4.2 problem).  Knowing that 4.3.0 can produce a
working reasonably-full graphical desktop (if it can) might encourage
someone to put it in the book...

 But, last time I looked we were still promoting a vulnerable
kernel, so perhaps we are in any case a long way from another
release.

ĸen