[Clfs-dev] Trunk ppc : a final update from my Xmas build

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com
Sun Mar 2 07:37:16 PST 2008

 From the "some things need to stew and ferment before they come
back to bite you" department:

On Sat, Jan 05, 2008 at 10:27:46PM +0000, Ken Moffat wrote:

>   Apart from the
> problem from running the module-init-tools testsuite (already fixed)
> I found the following issues:
>
> 1. Glibc cannot be compiled with the branch_update-1 patch.  This
> was not a surprise to me, the only piece of code it alters is in
> nptl/sysdeps/powerpc/tcb-offsets.sym and I already knew it broke
> ppc64.  In fact, that was why I wanted to look at ppc.  I also
> looked at a recent glibc snapshot before I started the build, and
> couldn't see this change in it.

 I've now found what was different between Jim's (?) builds and
mine (I heard he needed the patch to build on ppc).  It's the
--enable-kernel parameter for glibc.

 The book has --enable-kernel=2.6.0, and with that the
branch_update-1 patch stops it compiling, so I guess we should keep
the cut-down 1A version of the patch for the 1.1.0 release.  But,
people using later values of --enable-kernel (specifically, 2.6.22+
on ppc and perhaps ppc64 - the kernel version which brought in private
futexes) need the -1 version to compile glibc.

 I'm still have 'which --enable-kernel version?' on my list of
things to look at, since the original discussion on lfs-dev in
November, but I don't yet feel confident about identifying what it
really does - probably, the responses I received then are correct,
but I haven't fleshed out what sort of workarounds glibc invokes,
nor why the thread arose (log messages about an old interface) if
the workarounds are being used.

ĸen