[Clfs-dev] Hello everyone

George Makrydakis gmlistbox at obsethryl.eu
Sat Mar 1 15:07:35 PST 2008

George Makrydakis wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
> Some of you know about this already, but here it goes:
>
> Here is where the proposal I have been talking about is to have home:
>
> http://progress.odreex.org
>
> All code is original and no one but yours truly has contributed to what
> you are to receive. The design is also of yours truly and it started more
> than one year ago (on/off development for various reasons).
>
> The initial release aims at developers, the goal is to provide a
> completely agnostic system building platform, without any dependencies to
> the end users, but a working C++ compiler.
>
> Internationalization is embedded in the system, it is XML oriented, it
> abstracts package management. For those interested in a web - counterpart,
> it has already been taken care of.
>
> I am to release a first important set of features, this release does not
> give a complete toolkit, but a toolkit for people to use and develop their
> own books, the way they want them without anyone calling the shots.
>
> That is, there is no hardcoding, unlike what you find in current
> automation methods, the end user calls the shots. The way they want it,
> they way they don't want it, they can even build their own builder to do
> things differently if they wish to. I would have a lot more to say, but it
> is neither the place, or the time.
>
> What is odreex? A component framework. A library set. A toolkit. A swiss
> army knife.
>
> Expect the release tomorrow at some point. Mailing lists at:
>
> http://lists.odreex.org
>
> Enjoy
>
> George Makrydakis

A minor update: I will have to postpone today's release. The reason for it
is that I have to think a series of social issues related to this project.
I felt that this announcement was premature since the beginning, but I did
feel that there would have been a correct rectification on behalf of people
from a certain project (LFS) of which the story and "evolution" is rather
extremely well known in this community as well.

I am certain that my motives are very well understood by the people in this
list and elsewhere as well. I thought that an automation and management
layer that would have worked for all the 3 projects (clfs, diy-linux, lfs)
could have been of interest elsewhere as well. I do not think that there is
anything more to say related to this and frankly LFS has left this
user/developer with a bitter taste as well.

I will take some time to make certain that things end up well for the good
guys, I will continue informing from now on on the mailing lists of my
project (http://lists.odreex.org).

I would very much like to hear from your community and all who are
interested and hopefully work for this common goal together.

Thank you for your comprehension.

George Makrydakis.

--
http://lab.obsethryl.eu