[Clfs-dev] issues with current svn x86_64 pure 64

Joe Ciccone jciccone at gmail.com
Wed Dec 24 05:00:30 PST 2008

Steve Jones wrote:
> I found a few issues withe the current svn book while working through
> the x86_64 pure 64 build.  One is a show stopper.
>
> In chapter 10, binutils will fail during configure of bfd.  Moving
> zlib before binutils solves this.  LFS new build method already does
> this.

Correct, I thought this update was done, will make this change asap.

>> 6.19.1. Installation of LZMA Utils
>>
>>   Prepare LZMA-Utils for compilation:
>> CC="${CC} ${BUILD64}" ./configure --prefix=/tools \
>>    --build=${CLFS_HOST} --host=${CLFS_TARGET}
>>
>> ./configure --prefix=/tools \
>>    --build=${CLFS_HOST} --host=${CLFS_TARGET}
>>

>    Shouldn't this second configure command be a make.

That it should be. Jim recently added the lzma utils build. I will make
sure this gets fixed.
>> 8.9. Build Flags
>>
>>   We will need to setup target specific flags for the compiler and linkers.
>> export BUILD64="-m64"
>>
>>   To prevent errors when you come back to your build, we will export these variables to prevent any build issues in the future:
>> echo export BUILD64=\""${BUILD64}\"" >> ~/.bash_profile
>>

> *** is this really used?

On x86_64 I don't believe so. I will check the other architectures and
see if it's still required for them. If it isn't used on any of the
pure64 architectures, I'll remove it.

>> 10.14. E2fsprogs-1.41.3
>> cp -v misc/Makefile.in{,.orig}
>> sed 's/_BLKID= .*$/& $(LIBCOM_ERR)/' \
>>    misc/Makefile.in.orig > misc/Makefile.in
>>
> This has no effect.  libcomm_err is already listed in lib deps in misc/
> and the pattern '_BLKID' does not exist in Makefile.in.

I'm assuming that they fixed the problem that was fixed by the sed. Is
there still an error in the book?
> Coreutils make check fails because of a perl error.  I don't know jack
> about perl's convoluted install system but the current temp perl is
> insufficient for this version of coreutils.  Here's a sample of the
> error, all of the others are erroring on the same Errno.pm.  The tests
> pass after the full perl install.

Did it output a specific error? I havn't run the coreutils testsuite
since the last bunch of upgrades were done to the book.