[Clfs-dev] powerpc64 and sparc64 discussion for 32 bit user space and multilib

Joe Ciccone jciccone at gmail.com
Wed Dec 17 18:28:54 PST 2008

William Harrington wrote:

> gcc now defaults to 32 bit at least! The other issue is when using
> this on a ppc64 machine, that config.guess will return
> powerpc64-unknown-linux-gnu, which will cause problems, that's why the
> uname_hack has entered the world of my build.

Here's another thought. You could build a multilib cross-compiler for
the final system binutils and gcc with the host of
powerpc-unknown-linux-gnu and the target of powerpc64-unknown-linux-gnu.
Then use a config.site to force everything to powerpc-unknown-linux-gnu
instead of the uname hack. That would probably make upgrading the kernel
loads easier. Or even maybe just building a completely 32bit userspace
and build a 64bit binutils, gcc into /opt specifically for compiling the
kernel.

Just some food for thought.