[Clfs-dev] Pango 32-bit build fails

db m myheadblewoff at hotmail.com
Sat Dec 13 15:30:28 PST 2008

> Date: Sat, 13 Dec 2008 14:10:10 -0500
> From: jciccone
> To: clfs-dev
> Subject: Re: [Clfs-dev] Pango 32-bit build fails
>
> John Frankish wrote:
> > On a ps3 multi-lib build, the pango 64-bit build works, but the 32-bit
> > build fails as follows:
> >
> > (note changing Makefile X_LIBS = -L/usr/lib64 -R/usr/lib64 -lX11 ->
> > X_LIBS = -L/usr/lib -R/usr/lib -lX11 does not help)
> >
> > # patch -Np1 -i ../pango-1.22.0-multilib-1.patch
> > # sed -i "s/BUILDENV/32/" pango/pango-utils.c modules/Makefile.am
> > modules/Makefile.in pango/Makefile.am pango/Makefile.in
> >
> > # USE_ARCH=32 CC="gcc ${BUILD32}"
> > PKG_CONFIG_PATH="${PKG_CONFIG_PATH32}" ./configure --prefix=/usr
> > --sysconfdir=/etc
> > checking for perl... perl
> > checking for X... libraries /usr/lib64, headers
> > checking whether -R must be followed by a space... no
> > # make
> > <snip>

Joe said;
><snip>
>
> And USE_ARCH=32 should cause the X libraries to be found in /usr/lib, no
> /usr/lib64. You may want to check the installation of xorg-cf-files and
> xmkmf.

There's a number of these, where environment variables are thrown up
like above, as a prefix to configure, which *should* result in a correct library
path (pkgconfig path, gcc build..), but it seems this isn't always the case. I've
redressed a few already, but there's no doubt more in the wiki wherein you
have to state the intention as an export (ie; export USE_ARCH=32 as
opposed to including it on the configure line). There appears to be multiple
reasons for this, I believe the most of which are caused by a makefile in
certain packages which call in other helper apps (xmkmf, perl, others...)
during the make process, at which time the environment variables sent
to configure are unset and the (generated makefiles..) have no way to
pass the variables onto the helper apps on which the build relies.....or
something like this....

Don