[Clfs-dev] Pango 32-bit build fails

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com
Sat Dec 13 05:02:08 PST 2008

On Sat, Dec 13, 2008 at 02:22:39PM +0400, John Frankish wrote:
> On a ps3 multi-lib build, the pango 64-bit build works, but the
> 32-bit build fails as follows:

> checking for perl... perl
> checking for X... libraries /usr/lib64, headers
> checking whether -R must be followed by a space... no
 Welcome to the joys of multilib.

 My notes suggest that a major cause of configure scripts finding
lib64 in 32-bit builds is xmkmf (from imake).

 Looking at my (old) script, I build xorg-cf as 32-bit (with a
couple of seds after the install, to change the installed linux.cf
from m64 to m32, and from lib64 to lib, followed by 32-bit imake,
then 64-bit versions and link imake, xmkmf, ccmakedep to the
multiarch_wrapper.

 If you are deliberately building 32-bit after 64-bit (so that you
end up with 32-bit versions of the progs which just overwrite the
previous version), you will presumably want to do the same with
xorg-cf and imake.

 If that doesn't help, setting LDFLAGS='-L/lib -L/usr/lib' often
used to help (before I'd grokked my imake problem).

 In my case, configure scripts sometimes find 64-bit libs when I
haven't bothered to build a 32-bit version on the assumption I
didn't need it (or vice versa, e.g. with Python).  If you are
following cblfs and building *every* library twice, that probably
shouldn't happen.

ĸen