[Clfs-dev] Questions on SVN-20081112-PowerPC64-Multilib on ps3

Bryan Kadzban bryan at kadzban.is-a-geek.net
Thu Dec 11 19:36:48 PST 2008

John Frankish wrote:
> At 21:29 23-11-08, you wrote:
>> According to the patch I saved (but never submitted anywhere: I
>> figured the problem was the age of glibc), I removed the messages
>> by changing udev/udev.h (logging_init) to remove the LOG_CONS flag
>> from openlog.
>
> Thanks for the reply.
>
> Sorry to be dense - but if I understand correctly, you're saying that
> I need to recompile udev after first hacking udev/udev.h as described
> above? Note that this is with glibc-2.8

Well, that's what I did.  Doesn't mean it's the right answer, of course,
or that I actually *had* to do it.  Just that it worked.  ;-)

(LOG_CONS is the flag that tells the syslog routines "write any message
that you get to the console, if there's an error talking to syslog".
And given the meaning, I don't know why udev doesn't normally spew all
these messages.)

> Is it possible to modify/add a start-up script to prevent this issue?

I don't think so, and not that I found -- but I didn't look very hard.
The first things I dove into were the glibc and udev sources, to find
the source of the messages, and the reason they were being written to
the screen instead of only the log.  (Or never-never land, which I would
actually prefer for useless libvolume_id messages... sigh.)

It *may* help to start syslogd earlier -- but when a tmpfs is mounted on
/dev in the udev script, syslogd's /dev/log will disappear, so that idea
may not work very well.  Also, if /var is a separate partition, there's
no (...sane) way to start syslogd before udev in any case.